Atop Volcano Telica a couple days ago, near Leon in Nicaragua. Saw lava for the first time, which was incredible.

Atop Volcano Telica a couple days ago, near Leon in Nicaragua. Saw lava for the first time, which was incredible.


Last month, February, I didn’t publish a post.  It was the first time in nearly a year where I didn’t, mainly due to the lack of downtime I’ve had and the lack of a routine over the last couple months, which is typical this time of the year. As a quick recap to reflect on later, I arrived into the US on Dec. 23, 2014, celebrated Christmas, the next day played in a 2 day hockey tournament, then for New Years went to downtown Denver to celebrate on behalf of the Soul Foundation, a charity that ran the event. New Years day was spent celebrating a friends birthday.  On January 23rd, I went to Salt Lake City for a week to visit my brother and soon to be wife, and we explored the area, including a trip up to Idaho to relax in the Lava Hot Springs.

After a week there, I flew from Salt Lake City directly to Las Vegas to meetup with my other brother, his friends, and my friend Jesse from university to celebrate the Super Bowl in Las Vegas.  It was a great 3 days, but definitely heavy to say the least. I got back to Denver on Tuesday, came down with a cold, and spent the next 3 days recovering before flying to New Orleans on Friday with my brother and many of his friends. We spent 3 days there celebrating Mardi Gras, which was incredible.  The parades, the food, the people, the architecture, everything about it was great.  We got back to Denver late Monday, and the following Friday headed into the mountains in Colorado for the Pabst Pond Hockey tournament. I hadn’t played in the tournament in years since I wasn’t in the US for it.  This year it was again incredible, as we rented a massive lodge that could slept 20+ people.  We spent the days grilling, playing hockey, and relaxing in the hot tub.  It was truly an amazing experience with great people that I’m grateful to have been able to play in.

The tournament ended on the following Monday night, on Tuesday I spent the day packing, and on Wednesday I flew to Costa Rica, where I would start a 2 month journey backpacking north to Mexico.  Currently I’m 20 days into the trip on the Pacific Coast on Nicaragua.  It’s been a great journey so far and look forward to the rest of the trip. In short though, the last 2.5 months have been quite busy, and as a result I’ve spent much less time online than normal.

That’s it for updates. Surprisingly the internet has been quite good in Central America, or good enough for most of the trip.  However, that will probably change as I head north into Honduras, Guatemala, and Mexico, but we will see.  The initial plan is to fly back to Denver from Cancun in early-mid April, but we will see if that holds true. After a wedding at the end of the April, I fly back to Asia on April 29th. It’s always exciting, but crazy to think it is already March 11th!

The following two tabs change content below.


Web Developer
I write for fun, I travel for fun, and I enjoy learning. I hate sugar-coating things. Understand the world in reality, not by dogma. Question everything.

Latest posts by Patrick (see all)